Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Adnan Sami and Jagjit Singh

Adnan Sami shocked by Jagjit Singh's criticism

MUMBAI: Crooner Adnan Sami, who has sing hits like Bheegi bheegi raton mein, refuses to believe that Indian ghazal maestro Jagjit Singh criticised him by saying "he can't sing and should go back to Pakistan".

"I can't believe Jagjit saab would talk like this about me. He's always been so sweet to me. I'm his biggest fan. And why would he say I came to India to become an actor?

"When I came here, I weighed three times more than what I am. And why would he accuse me of sending my money to Pakistan? I earn and pay taxes in Mumbai, I can show you my PAN card," Adnan said.

Singh, who openly acknowledges Mehdi Hassan as his main inspiration, told a website in an interview that Adnan can't sing and should go back home.

"He (Adnan) became a singer by mistake. He had come here to become an actor and by mistake he became a singer. He can't even sing. People like him should be sent back to work there (Pakistan) because they make money in India and send it to Pakistan," Singh was quoted as saying by website starboxoffice.com.

A source from the music industry who knows both the parties spilled the beans behind Jagjit Singh's rancorous outburst.

"There's more to Jagjit saab's outburst against Adnan than a spirit of patriotism. Recently, when Adnan was doing the score for Vikram Bhatt's 1920, he wanted all the stalwarts of the classical world to contribute a track. He approached Jagjit saab for the song. And he even had the tune ready. But a section of the film's production team vetoed Jagjit saab's presence in the album. And Kailash Kher sang the song meant for Jagjit Singh. That's when Jagjit Singh decided who the enemy was," said the source.

Adnan doesn't deny the incident during the recording of the 1920 songs.

"I did approach Jagjit saab for a song in '1920'. He couldn't sing it for some reason. So what? I refuse to believe he'd act so petty. He has always said Mehdi Hassan was his greatest inspiration. Why would he now make these uncharitable remarks against all Pakistani artists?"

No comments:

Post a Comment